Ah yes, long weekend season cometh. As someone who left their hometown after high school, I have become well versed in a booking a “quick trip for the weekend.” And as a New Yorker, I know how crucial time out of the concrete jungle is for a girl’s stress levels.
Currently, I have 5 long weekends scheduled through mid-June, so yea, my packing game has to be on fleek. I typically have to be prepared for at least one outfit change per day. My traveling weekends are filled with friend visits, errands, shopping, church or brunch (or both!) on Sunday, and the inevitable dinner out + late night adventures. And then you gotta nail your travel looks—I belong to the school of thought that one should SHOW OUT at the airport, like “Is that a celebrity!!” show out.
The long weekend trip challenge is the need for multiple outfits for several occasions, without the burden of checking a bag or pulling a muscle toting that weekender bag around. And sure, some people would argue that you don’t need to mix it up and could wear the same outfit 4 days over. But les be honest, if you’re reading this, it’s not because you’re looking to become the cartoon version of yourself by wearing the same clothes every day. Even my bit-moji changes her look up! Leave the same-old, same-old ensemble to Patti Mayonaise.
Here are my packing tips for a long weekend:
- Cottons + Wrinkle Free Fabrics Win! If you have to pack anything silk, wrap it in one of your cotton tees and hang that bad boy up as soon as you get to your destination
- Set limits on how much you’ll bring, I try to pack:
- Two pairs of pants, max. Pants = poundage and that = heavy!
- One jacket, one sweater max – so choose wisely. Go for a solid-color piece with that has cool detailing for some pizazz.
- Three pairs of shoes, max! For my most recent trip, I brought some cool sneaks for travel day, easy flats so I could chase my friend’s toddler around, and one pair of heels for dressy events.
- A button down shirt-dress. Denim, cotton or print, it don’t matter! I wear it as a dress one day and a jacket the next.
- A denim shirt, because it does it all, as noted in my last blog.
- Don’t be afraid to re-wear pieces! Layer everything up or style a look that’s clean and simple to differentiate from day to day
- Rely on a few accessories or a bold lipstick for a nighttime look
Good news! – I did some shopping for everyone right here on my New Pinterest Board. Follow me on Pinterest for style inspo and quick-click shopping. I got you, girl! Now start packing, because the weekend is just around the corner.
XOXO – Haley
*Phew, I think I pulled off using the word pizazz in a sentence